Sheila Hancock's biography
Sheila Hancock is 89 years old actor born at Blackgang. She was born on Wednesday 22nd of February 1933. She is often nicknamed as Sheila Hancock. According to year of birth 1933 she belongs to Silent Generation. Birthday on 22nd of February means she is Pisces. Pisces is a Watery Sign. They are very intuitive people. They are empathic, emotional and highly spiritual in nature.
Sheila is white british. Sheila is citizen of United Kingdom. Sheila´s primary profession is to be actor. You can know Sheila also as voice actor, film director, writer, film actor. She is recently known as stage actor.
Sheila Hancock's family
Sheila Hancock's ex spouse
Sheila Hancock and John Thaw have been together since 1973 for 29 years. He is known as actor. Her ex spouse was born on Saturday 3rd of January 1942 in Longsight. Her ex spouse died on Thursday 21st of February 2002 in Luckington. John Thaw was 69 years old, when this happened.
Sheila Hancock's schools
We found 3 schools She attended. Complete list of schools: Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, The Open University, Dartford Grammar School for Girls.
Detailed informations about her schools
- Attended the Dartford County Grammar School and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts (RADA).
Sheila Hancock's career
Sheila´s main focus is to be actor.
Awards and competitions
Sheila Hancock's Awards
- She was awarded the OBE (Officer of the Order of the British Empire) in the 1974 Queen's Birthday Honours List for her services to drama.
- She was awarded the CBE (Commander of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2011 Queen's New Years Honours List for her services to drama.
- She was nominated for the 1980 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Actress in a Musical for her performance in "Sweeney Todd" but lost out to Gemma Craven.
- She won the 2007 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Performance in a Supporting Role in a Musical for her role as Fraulein Schneider in "Cabaret".
- She was awarded Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2021 Queen's New Years Honours List for her services to Drama and to Charity. She is an actress in London, Greater London, England.
Sheila Hancock's Nominations
- Sheila was nominated for British Academy Television Award for Best Actress for work Bedtime in 2003
What Sheila Hancock has done for a first time
- She is a breast cancer survivor. Her first husband, actor Alec Ross, died of cancer in 1971 and her second husband, actor John Thaw, died of oesophageal cancer in 2002. She has been a spokesperson for Cancer BACUP.
- Her first acting experience was at the age of 10 playing a cold germ in a children's show.
- In 1980-81, she was Associate Director of the Cambridge Theatre Company. She was Director of the RSC Touring Company in 1983-84, and was the first woman to direct in the Olivier Theatre at the National Theatre in 1985.
Sheila Hancock's quotes
- I know how to build a block of flats. I have watched them for hours building the foundations. I've watched bricks being laid, like Lego. I've seen workers sacked. There is always something to engross you in life.
- The public are amazing. I know I can't over value it because it's not as real as one's friends love, but it's deeply touching and I was very grateful for it.
- [on accepting the CBE and being a devout Quaker] They said it was fine because it was for my work and it was earned.
- I know people who get called national treasures who are vile.
- The public have always been nice to me and don't pester me. You do get a bit fed up with the selfies. I often wonder what John (John Thaw) would do. Thank God they weren't invented before he died.
- I am a member of the Labour Party but I am a bit ambivalent at the moment. I could not vote for anybody else but I am a bit worried at the moment. We have got to vote whatever.
- [on being made a Dame] I've never felt myself this sort of person. It just doesn't happen to people like me. I feel I may be lowering the tone. I feel slightly miscast, let's put it that way.
- See also Other Works |Â Publicity Listings |Â Official Sites
Sheila Hancock's height, body shape, eye color
Lets describe how Sheila Hancock looks. We will focus on Sheila´s height, body shape, eye color and hair color. Sheila is tall as 5' 8" (173 cm). Body build is slim. Her eyes are tinted blue. Sheila´s hair is shade of blonde.