Phil Collins's biography
Phil Collins is 71 years old actor born at London. He was born on Tuesday 30th of January 1951. He is often nicknamed as Little Elvis. According to year of birth 1951 he belongs to Boomers. Birthday on 30th of January means he is Aquarius. Aquarius is an Airy sign. They are smart thinkers, social, communicative, independent and intelligent people.He was married 2 times.
He is native english speaker. He is citizen of United Kingdom. His primary profession is to be actor. You can know him also as singer, voice actor, singer-songwriter, composer, jazz musician, model, drummer, pianist, bandleader, film actor, recording artist, autobiographer, guitarist. He is recently known as television actor.
Phil Collins's dad
Phil Collins's father's name is Greville Bernard Philip A Collins.
Phil Collins's mom
Phil Collins's mother's name is June Strange.
Phil Collins's family
Phil Collins's ex spouses
Phil Collins and Orianne Collins have been together since 1999 for 9 years. His ex spouse was born on Sunday 24th of March 1974 in Nyon.
Phil Collins and Andrea Bertorelli have been together since 1975 for 5 years. His ex spouse was born in 1951.
He has 1 son and 2 daughters
Phil Collins's son: Simon Collins
Phil Collins's son's name is Simon Collins. He is known as singer. His son was born on Tuesday 14th of September 1976 in Greater London.
Phil Collins's daughter: Joely Collins
Phil Collins's daughter's name is Joely Collins. She is known as actor. His daughter was born on Tuesday 8th of August 1972 in Vancouver.
Phil Collins's daughter: Lily Collins
Phil Collins's daughter's name is Lily Collins. Lily is known as actor. His daughter was born on Saturday 18th of March 1989.
Phil Collins's schools
We found 2 schools He attended. Complete list of schools: Chiswick School, Barbara Speake Stage School.
Phil Collins's career
His main focus is to be actor. He is famous thanks to In the Air Tonight. He is also a member of Genesis. Maybe you are curious what instrument does he play ? He plays drum kit.
Awards and competitions
Phil Collins's Awards
- He was awarded Lieutenant of the Royal Victorian Order of the British Empire in the 1994 Queen's Honours List for his services to music and charity.
- His music video for his 1990 single "I Wish It Would Rain Down" featured him fictionally winning an Academy Award. He later won one for his song "You'll Be in My Heart" from the soundtrack to Tarzan (1999).
- He was a close friend of the singer-songwriter John Martyn and presented him with the lifetime achievement award at the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards on 4th February 2008.
- He was the winner of the 2008 Ivor Novello Award for International Achievement.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6834 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.
What Phil Collins has done for a first time
- In January 1989, he was voted the fourth most popular radio artist for 1989 in France. First was Kylie Minogue; second David Hallyday and third Madonna.
- His song "In The Air Tonight" was originally proposed to appear on the Genesis album "Duke", but Tony Banks and Mike Rutherford decided against recording it. It became Collins' first solo hit instead and remains one of his most famous songs.
Phil Collins's quotes
- I'm not a singer who plays a bit of drums. I'm a drummer that sings a bit.
- I don't own an ABBA album and I never had the urge to go and buy one. If you're just talking about well crafted pop songs, they were fantastic.
- I prefer black music in general.
- Apart from Hugh Fielder, I can't think of any journalist who actually likes Genesis.
- I was keen to meet some of the people who have slagged me off, people like Paul Morley at NME and Paul Colbert at Melody Maker just to show them that I'm not actually what they think I am.
- I just don't think of myself as a star. This is what I do for a living; I'm fortunate that I make ends meet.
- If people listened to Genesis' back catalogue they might be surprised.
- It's very strange, when you live in London or live around London and get the music papers you are led to believe that there is a certain type of music that is popular and everything else is not.
- I like Weather Report, I like Stephen Bishop, I like John Martyn. I just like all different kinds of music and artists.
- [on bands copying Genesis and referring to the band's frequent criticism in the music press] I wouldn't wish it upon anybody to try and be successful in this day and age being a parody of a band nobody likes anyway.
- Many people think of me as a perfectionist, someone who polishes and shines each song and performance. I've always been bothered by that assumption.
- I get kicked around by critics all the time. I can count on one hand the amount of really good reviews I've had for anything I've done - in 25 years of Genesis, 30 years of my own career - people have dismissed it out of hand.
- There's a lot of stuff there that music critics just don't go for. To them, I'm some kind of landmark of middle-of-the-roadness, or I'm not edgy enough, or I've been around too long to be taken seriously.
- A lot of the older fans think that Genesis should be a brand name for progressive rock or whatever, but actually Genesis is the name for a group of songwriters who have always done whatever they felt like doing under that banner.
- I'm tired of defending the fact that we [Genesis] wrote three and four minute songs and had a bit of success.
- It's actually come as quite a shock to learn just how many people don't like me.
- There'll always be people out there like Noel Gallagher who firmly believe I'm the Antichrist.
- Genesis always wanted hit singles. I can assure everybody that from the very word go, before I joined the band and when Peter [Peter Gabriel] was the singer, all they wanted was a hit, which we eventually got but that was by accident, not design.
- My life has never been revolved around money. I've loved what I've done and fortunately, as it happens, people have been shoveling money in the bucket behind me, but I've never really done anything from a financially motivated point of view.
- It's been a bit of a handicap not being able to read music but, on the other hand, other parts of your senses come in.
- I've had a lifetime of people telling me that I'm an ugly bastard. When Lily's mum first showed her mother a picture of me, she said, 'Oh, well, Jill, I suppose that love is blind'.
- I have young children, so I don't feel the drive to go out there and compete... I can't be what I used to be. I can't play like I used to.
- All I set out to do was to earn a living playing drums, you know? And as luck would have it, I've surpassed that.
- [on Ringo Starr] He's a fantastic drummer. That's been overlooked for years. Everybody talks about him being the joker, the cheeky chap, but he's a great musician.
- [on Billy Idol] He's a very nice guy, Billy, actually. I sound surprised 'cause I would have thought that someone like that wouldn't have wanted something to do with someone like me.
- I used to use two bass drums years ago, and then I stopped because I read that Buddy Rich said that hi-hats are very important. I thought, 'Yeah, he's dead right.' So I threw the other bass drum away and started using the hi-hat.
- I have quite a lot of good speed on the bass drum. I'm more of a foot player in some respects than I am a hand player. I'm very conscious of what the hi-hat is doing all the time. Tony Williams is great at that.
- I'm quite happy to play with two drummers because I think that's an experience in itself - trying to get that happening.
- I don't dampen any drum. That's the big difference between me and a lot of other players. If I had my way, I would record the bass drum a couple of times with the skin on because I think it alters the sound. I do tend to tune the drums a lot tighter.
- Americans are much more diet conscious than we are in England. I think that's because of the amount of junk that's about. At home, I mostly eat home-cooked food.
- The highlight for me was playing in Eric Clapton's band, playing drums behind Eric. Nothing to do with Genesis or my own solo career.
- [speaking the day after Live Aid (1985)] I'm absolutely whacked!
- [on learning that David Bowie had dismissed his own critically-panned 1980s albums "Tonight" and "Never Let Me Down" as his "Phil Collins years"] I'm quite impressed that David Bowie had heard of me.
- I think, with some critics, I became synonymous with an era of music that they didn't like, and they were suspicious of all success, which is understandable. You end up painted into a corner that it's impossible to get out of.
- The critics like to put you in a box and say "You are Genesis, you play 10 minute songs" and really Genesis is just a brand name to play any kind of music we feel like playing. Plus, we never stopped playing the 10 minute songs.
- It took me ages before I heard Marillion. I kept on hearing about these second-generation Genesis groups - Pallas were another one - and I didn't want to hear them. I wasn't even that keen on first-generation Genesis stuff.
- See also Other Works |Â Publicity Listings |Â Official Sites
Phil Collins's body shape
Lets describe how Phil Collins looks. We will focus on his body shape. Body build is average.
Latest news about Phil Collins
For the latest news - you can follow Phil Collins on social networks.