Ben Gazzara's biography
Ben Gazzara is 82 years old director born on on Thursday 28th of August 1930. He is often nicknamed as Benny. According to year of birth 1930 he belongs to Silent Generation. Birthday on 28th of August means he is Virgo. Virgo is an earthy sign of Zodiac Belt. People born under this Rising Sign are practical in nature. They believe in reality and represents themselves as a strong person.He was married 2 times.
He is native english speaker. He is citizen of United States of America. His primary profession is to be director. You can know him also as character actor, screenwriter, television actor, stage actor, film actor, actor, television director. He is recently known as film director.
Ben Gazzara's family
Ben Gazzara's ex spouses
Ben Gazzara and Janice Rule have been together since 1961 for 18 years. Janice is known as stage actor. His ex spouse was born on Saturday 15th of August 1931 in Norwood. His ex spouse died on Friday 17th of October 2003 in New York City. Janice Rule was 73 years old, when this happened.
Ben Gazzara and Louise Erickson have been together since 1951 for 6 years. She is known as film actor. His ex spouse was born on Tuesday 28th of February 1928 in Oakland. His ex spouse died on Monday 18th of March 2019. Louise Erickson was 89 years old, when this happened.
Ben Gazzara's schools
We found 3 schools He attended. Complete list of schools: New School, Actors Studio, Stuyvesant High School.
Detailed informations about his schools
- Attended NYC's famed Stuyvesant High School.
Ben Gazzara's career
His main focus is to be director.
How did Ben Gazzara die
He died on on Friday 3rd of February 2012 when he was 82 years old at New York City. Ben Gazzaras death was caused by pancreatic cancer. It happend like natural causes.
Awards and competitions
Ben Gazzara's Awards
- He received award for Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie for work Hysterical Blindness in 2003
Ben Gazzara's Nominations
- He was nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor for work Inchon in 1983
- He was nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Supporting Actor for work Road House in 1990
Ben Gazzara's quotes
- I turned down so many movies because I was idealistic. I was so pure. I didn't really take advantage of the opportunities. If I had the same chances today I would take them all because you never know where it will lead.
- [In 2009] I would say Husbands (1970) and Saint Jack (1979) and The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976) are my three favorite films, of my work.
- (on making movies in Italy) You go where they love you.
- [on battling depression while filming They All Laughed (1981)] I was in a depression during the whole shooting, and I was terrific in that film and I don't remember doing it.
-  When I became hot, so to speak, in the theater, I got a lot of offers. I won't tell you the pictures I turned down because they would say, 'You are a fool.' And I was a fool.
- [on John Cassavetes as a director] He set the climate for an actor to feel free to give whatever, and if it didn't work, it didn't work.
Ben Gazzara's body shape
Lets describe how Ben Gazzara looks. We will focus on his body shape. Body build is average.