Asghar Farhadi's biography
Asghar Farhadi is 50 years old film director born at Khomeyni Shahr. Asghar was born on Sunday 7th of May 1972. According to year of birth 1972 Asghar belongs to Generation X. Birthday on 7th of May means he is Taurus. Taurus is most stable sign of Zodiac, that is the reason it is also included in the earthy sign of the Zodiac Belt. One born with this Moon Sign (Not a Rising Sign) is very stable and balanced through their mind.
He is middle eastern iranian. He is citizen of Iran. He is muslim. Asghar´s primary profession is to be film director. You can know Asghar also as screenwriter. Asghar is recently known as film producer. Asghar received Silver Bear for Best Director About Elly in 2009
Asghar Farhadi's family
Asghar Farhadi's ex spouse
Asghar Farhadi and Parisa Bakhtavar have been together. She is known as film director. Asghar´s ex spouse was born on Wednesday 2nd of February 1972.
Asghar has 1 daughter.
Asghar Farhadi's daughter: Sarina Farhadi
Asghar Farhadi's daughter's name is Sarina Farhadi. She is known as actor. Asghar´s daughter was born on Saturday 4th of April 1998 in Tehran.
Asghar Farhadi's schools
We found 2 schools Asghar attended. Complete list of schools: Tarbiat Modares University, University of Tehran.
Asghar Farhadi's career
Asghar´s main focus is to be film director and writing.
Awards and competitions
Asghar Farhadi's Awards
- He received award for Silver Bear for Best Director for work About Elly in 2009
- He received award for Golden Bear for work A Separation in 2011
- Asghar received award for César Award for Best Foreign Film for work A Separation in 2012
- He received award for Golden Globe Award for Best Foreign Language Film for work A Separation in 2012
- He received award for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for work A Separation in 2012
- Asghar received award for Asian Film Award for Best Director for work A Separation in 2012
- He received award for Prize of the Ecumenical Jury for work The Past in 2013
- He received award for Chlotrudis Award for Best Director for work The Past in 2014
- Asghar received award for Chlotrudis Award for Best Original Screenplay for work The Past in 2014
- He received award for Best Screenplay Award (Cannes Film Festival) for work The Salesman in 2016
- He received award for Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film for work The Salesman in 2017
- Asghar received award for Cannes Film Festival Grand Prix for work A Hero in 2021
Asghar Farhadi's Nominations
- He was nominated for Academy Award for Best Writing, Original Screenplay
What Asghar Farhadi has done for a first time
- First Iranian filmmaker to receive a nomination for a British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Award ("Best Film Not in the English Language," A Separation (2011)).
- His film A Separation (2011) is the first Iranian movie to win an Oscar.
- First Iranian Director to be nominated for Academy Awards in any other category except Best Foreign Language Film.
- First Iranian director to be nominated for more than one Academy Award.
- Shot his first 8-mm and 16-mm films as a teenager, and had already made five short films by the time he went to Tehran University and got his Bachelor and Master degree in theatre directing.
Asghar Farhadi's quotes
- I feel it's important to talk about the complex issues affecting us. I think it's insulting to an audience to make them sit and watch a film and then give them a message in one sentence.
- Classical tragedy was the war between good and evil. We wanted evil to be defeated and good to be victorious. But the battle in modern tragedy is between good and good. And no matter which side wins, we'll still be heartbroken.
- I like storytelling movies and more than that I like historical movies; and I think someday I'll definitely make a movie about the past 50 years history.
- [on being asked that if not being free while making a movie can help improve the creativity in a society] I would preferring not to blame the absence of creativity on the presence of freedom.
- Each person makes their own choice, but my spirit is meant to stay in Iran, especially with the work that I do, and with the emotional connection I have with the country - with all its difficulties, this is why I stay.
- I like storytelling movies and more than that I like historical movies, and I think someday I'll definitely make a movie about the past 50 years history (Iran's history).
- I feel it's important to talk about the complex issues affecting us.
- I gained a great deal from the period during which I worked in theater and I value those things a great deal.
- I tend to jot down moments, lines, interactions that don't really make any sense. I try and explain these scattered notes to my close friends, and they become more and more logical. I see screen writing as a bit like a math equation which I have to solve.
- [on whether he will make films outside Iran] It will depend on the stories that comes to me. I won't decide to go make a film in a country and then find a story; I will wait for the story to tell me where to go.
- [on his writing process] All my stories are written in a non-linear way. They don't go from point A to point B. I always have several stories developing simultaneously and they come together during a shared situation.
- I believe that the world today needs more questions than answers. Answers prevent you from questioning, from thinking.
- [on why he focuses on family issues] When I base a story on a family it gives me a large possibility. Spectators all over the world have experience of families so this brings them one step closer to my films.
- If you give an answer to your viewer, your film will simply finish in the movie theatre. But when you pose questions, your film actually begins after people watch it. In fact, your film will continue inside the viewer.
- I never think that I've learned filmmaking. Filmmaking is like driving a car-you can't ever say that you're a good driver, [because] you just have to have an accident one time, and then you're not.
- See also Other Works |Â Publicity Listings |Â Official Sites
Asghar Farhadi's body shape, hair color
Lets describe how Asghar Farhadi looks. We will focus on his body shape, hair color. Body build is average. His hair is shade of black.
Latest news about Asghar Farhadi
For the latest news - you can follow Asghar Farhadi on social networks.