Michael Cimino's biography
Michael Cimino is 77 years old film director born at New York City, New York, United States. Michael was born on Friday 3rd of February 1939. Michael is often nicknamed as The AyatollahNikki. According to year of birth 1939 he belongs to Silent Generation. Birthday on 3rd of February means he is Aquarius. Aquarius is an Airy sign. They are smart thinkers, social, communicative, independent and intelligent people.
He is white american. He is citizen of United States of America. Michael´s primary profession is to be film director. You can know him also as screenwriter. Michael is recently known as film producer.
Michael Cimino's schools
We found 4 schools Michael attended. Complete list of schools: Yale University, Yale School of Art, Michigan State University, Westbury High School.
Michael Cimino's career
Michael´s main focus is to be film director. Michael is famous thanks to The Deer Hunter.
Is Michael Cimino gay ?
Michael is known to be straight.
How did Michael Cimino die
Michael died on on Saturday 2nd of July 2016 when he was 77 years old at Los Angeles. Michael Ciminos death was caused by undisclosed causes.
Awards and competitions
Michael Cimino's Awards
- He received award for Academy Award for Best Director for work The Deer Hunter in 1979
- Michael received award for Academy Award for Best Picture for work The Deer Hunter in 1979
- Michael received award for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Director for work Heaven's Gate in 1982
- He received award for Golden Globe Award for Best Director for work The Deer Hunter in 1979
Michael Cimino's Nominations
- He was nominated for Academy Award for Best Director
- He was nominated for Academy Award for Best Writing, Original Screenplay
- He was nominated for Academy Award for Best Picture
- He was nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Director for work Heaven's Gate in 1982
- He was nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screenplay for work Heaven's Gate in 1982
- He was nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Director for work Year of the Dragon in 1986
- Michael was nominated for Golden Raspberry Award for Worst Screenplay for work Year of the Dragon in 1986
What Michael Cimino has done for a first time
- It took Cimino 14 hours a day for 3 months to view all the footage and produce a 3 and a 1/2 hour rough cut of Heaven's Gate (1980). The first screening was 219 minutes which was cut to 165 minutes then to 153 minutes in 70mm and 149 in 35 mm.
Michael Cimino's quotes
- I don't make movies intellectually, I don't make movies to make a point, I make movies to tell stories about people.
- Films are home movies of your past.
- If you don't get it right, what's the point?
- [on Heaven's Gate (1980)] It took me a long time before I was able to say, "I'm proud of that movie." And I am proud of it. I could not have made it any better than I made it. No excuses, and no regrets. [July 2002]
- Nobody lives without making mistakes. I never second-guess myself. You can't look back. I don't believe in defeat. Everybody has bumps, but as Count Basie said, "It's not how you handle the hills, it's how you handle the valleys."
- [on book publishing] When a guy is perceived as macho, female editors aren't going to like it--because they all want to be men.
- [2002, on Steven Bach] This man has given me endless grief for his work of fiction, and it should be classified as fiction. He's made money off my blood, my work, for 20 years.
- This is a lonely country and people die of loneliness as surely as they die of cancer. But I also know that in every friendship there's the potential for destructiveness as well as nourishment.
- [responding to a journalist's question about Heaven's Gate (1980) in 1990] I take full responsibility, and all other questions are answered by the film itself.
-  Hollywood has always been crazy. It's controlled anarchy. But how can you loathe something that has given you so much? I wouldn't have had the life I've had without movies.
-  I learned to edit by doing it. Somebody said, "here, take a roll of film, put it in the machine", and you work with it that way.
- [in 2005] It's the accumulation of little details that makes us believe.
- [in 2005, on Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)] It's a fun film, I love the characters in the story, and I'm surprised I made it that way.
- [in 2015] I'm a frustrated would-be architect, who stumbled into the would-be business of making movies.
- [in 2015] I can do a movie basically with two lenses, the 10-to-one [zoom lens] and the 30mm lens. And with the 30mm you can do the biggest landscapes and the most incredible close-ups in the world.
- [in 2015] Your favorite film is always the film you haven't made yet.
- [July 2002] Originally I had a notion that all my work put together would be a kind of tapestry of American life.
- See also Other Works |Â Publicity Listings |Â Official Sites
Michael Cimino's height, body shape, eye color
Lets describe how Michael Cimino looks. We will focus on Michael´s height, body shape, eye color and hair color. Michael is tall as 5' 5" (165 cm). Body build is average. His eyes are tinted brown - dark. Michael´s hair is shade of brown - dark.