Barbara Windsor's biography
Barbara-Ann Deeks is 83 years old actor born at Shoreditch. Barbara was born on Friday 6th of August 1937. Barbara is often nicknamed as The Queen of Carry On, Barb, Little Bird, One-take Windsor, Babs, Barbara Windsor, Barbara-Ann Deeks. According to year of birth 1937 Barbara belongs to Silent Generation. Birthday on 6th of August means she is Leo. As sign in itself indicates “Lion” or “King”, hence people born under Leo sign are considered to be leaders in every aspects of life. They are royal in nature.
Barbara is white british. She is citizen of United Kingdom. Barbara´s primary profession is to be actor. You can know her also as stage actor, film actor. She is recently known as autobiographer.
Barbara Windsor's schools
We found 2 schools Barbara attended. Complete list of schools: Aida Foster Theatre School, Our Lady's Catholic High School.
Barbara Windsor's career
Barbara´s main focus is to be actor. Barbara is famous thanks to East Enders.
Is Barbara Windsor gay ?
She is known to be straight.
How did Barbara Windsor die
Barbara died on on Thursday 10th of December 2020 when he was 83 years old at London. Barbara Windsors death was caused by alzheimer's disease. It happend like natural causes.
Awards and competitions
Barbara Windsor's Awards
- She was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the 2000 Queen's New Years Honours List for her services to entertainment.
- Was nominated for the 1965 Tony Award for Featured Actress in a Musical for her performance in "Oh, What a Lovely War!" directed by her mentor Joan Littlewood.
- Holds the record for playing the shortest-serving soap character to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award, having won the award at The British Soap Awards 2009 (2009) for 15 years of playing Peggy Mitchell on EastEnders (1985).
- Is one of eight EastEnders (1985) actors to have won the Lifetime Achievement Award at the British Soap Awards; the others are June Brown, Wendy Richard, Pam St. Clement, Adam Woodyatt, Steve McFadden, Rudolph Walker and Letitia Dean.
- Is one of seven EastEnders (1985) actresses to have won the Best Actress Award at the British Soap Awards; the others are Patsy Palmer, Natalie Cassidy, Kacey Ainsworth, Lacey Turner, Jessie Wallace and Kellie Bright.
- She was awarded the Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire in the 2016 Queen's New Years Honours List for her services to entertainment and to charity.
- In 2012, she became a patron of the Amy Winehouse Foundation, and in November 2014, she was awarded an honorary doctorate from the University of East London.
Barbara Windsor's Rankings
- Her EastEnders (1985) character Peggy Mitchell's wedding to Frank Butcher (Mike Reid), dated on 1 April 1999, ranked #22 on "The 50 Greatest EastEnders (1985) Weddings of All Time" (2010).
- Her EastEnders (1985) character Peggy Mitchell's wedding to Archie Mitchell (Larry Lamb), dated on 2 April 2009, ranked #1 on "The 50 Greatest EastEnders (1985) Weddings of All Time" (2010).
- Ranked #12 in the 100 Greatest EastEnders (1985) Characters of All Time for her performance as Peggy Mitchell (2010).
- Ranked #14 in The 100 Greatest EastEnders (1985) Characters of All Time for her performance as Peggy Mitchell (2015).
What else you don't know about Barbara Windsor ?
Her middle name is Ann.
What Barbara Windsor has done for a first time
- First husband, Ronnie Knight, fled to Spain after bank robbery charges were filed against him.
- Her first job after leaving school at age 16 was as a customer service assistant in a shoe shop.
- Became pregnant twice by her first husband Ronnie Knight; on both occasions she had abortions. She aborted their first baby in January 1960 at four months pregnant and their second in December 1965 at two months pregnant.
- Played her first grandmother role on-screen at age 59 on EastEnders (1985).
Barbara Windsor's quotes
- It's amazing, fantastic. It's spot on and absolutely sensational. - On her Madame Tussaud's wax works model
- We didn't get a lot of money and we did always seem to be doing outside shots in winter but it paid the mortgage and I loved it. - On her Carry On movies
- On not having children: I don't have any regrets about not having kids. I've just never had those maternal feelings. I am a nurturer by nature, but I nurture adults: my friends, the people I work with. I don't want to nurture children.
- I am not like my image; I take my work so seriously. Everyone thinks I just bounce in, but I study and everything has to be just right.
- I've been incredibly lucky. I've worked in two iconic shows, 'Carry On' and EastEnders (1985). If it all ended tomorrow - and it could - I'd just be terribly grateful. I've been fortunate enough to do what I love and get paid for it.
- I found myself in the doldrums in the early Nineties. I was too old to play the dolly bird any longer and I looked too young to play a woman of my real age. No one ever saw me as the aunt, mother or grandmother.
- Jessie Wallace was the first time I erupted. She was late, she was young. She's not like that any more. I lost my temper. It was silly and I burst into tears and ran up to the producer. I said I had been terrible and amateur.
- I have had the most wonderful time on EastEnders (1985) and I will miss you all. The show has changed my life and I want you all to continue the good work, because I'll be at home watching you.
- The beautiful thing is that ageism just doesn't exist on EastEnders (1985). The show saved me.
- I check all my props, everything. Acting is something I love. I have done it since I was 13 but it had completely taken over my life absolutely.
- I am aware that I look good for my age. It's my genes. My dad looked incredibly young, so did my mother. And a younger husband helps. Scott is only 45. If he hadn't come along, I don't know what I'd have done.
- [about her damehood] For a girl from the East End born into a working class family and an evacuee during World War Two, this is truly like a dream.
Barbara Windsor's height, body shape, eye color
Lets describe how Barbara Windsor looks. We will focus on her height, body shape, eye color and hair color. She is tall as 4' 11" (150 cm). Body build is average. Barbara´s eyes are tinted blue. Barbara´s hair is shade of dyed blonde.