Philip Kaufman's biography
Philip Kaufman is 86 years old film actor born at Chicago. He was born on Friday 23rd of October 1936. Philip is often nicknamed as Philip Kaufman. According to year of birth 1936 he belongs to Silent Generation. Birthday on 23rd of October means Philip is Libra. Libra sign depicts that it is all about “Balance”. It seems that their life is very balanced, however, things are way opposite as they always face unstable situations in order to balance it further.
Philip´s ancestry is american. He is citizen of United States of America. His primary profession is to be film actor. You can know him also as voice actor, film director, screenwriter. Philip is recently known as film producer.
Philip Kaufman's family
Philip Kaufman's ex spouse
Philip Kaufman and Rose Kaufman have been together since 1958 for 51 years. She is known as screenwriter. Philip´s ex spouse was born on Thursday 30th of March 1939 in Saugus. Philip´s ex spouse died on Monday 7th of December 2009 in San Francisco. Rose Kaufman was 73 years old, when this happened.
Philip has 1 son.
Philip Kaufman's son: Peter Kaufman
Philip Kaufman's son's name is Peter Kaufman. He is known as film producer. Philip´s son was born in 1960 in Chicago.
Philip Kaufman's schools
We found 2 schools Philip attended. Complete list of schools: University of Chicago, Harvard Law School.
Detailed informations about Philip´s schools
- Attended high school with director William Friedkin.
Philip Kaufman's career
His main focus is to be film actor. You could see Philip also in The Unbearable Lightness of Being.
Awards and competitions
Philip Kaufman's Awards
- He received award for BAFTA Award for Best Adapted Screenplay for work The Unbearable Lightness of Being in 1989
Philip Kaufman's Nominations
- He was nominated for Academy Award for Best Writing, Adapted Screenplay
Philip Kaufman's quotes
- [on Fred Ward] He's the first cult actor of 2000.
- I shot a lot of close-ups on this movie 'cause there's like a dual mystery, she's searching through her haunted past to find some truth and she's also following an external mystery where she comes to think she might be the killer.
- It just seemed to me to be a great story, set back in its time but something that seemed to have relevance for our time. Now that the film is coming out, it looks like we're back in another time where repression of expression is all the rage.
- But you know, there's always a danger nowadays that films are gonna be brought up to Canada for budget reasons. And that's something that really concerns me.
- And I liked this extreme character of de Sade.
- The truth is, I'm drawn to all kinds of things.
- I read, therefore I'm interested in writers.
- The danger is not so much in the economic structure of a society but in its intellectual structure.
- They are always very lax about putting restrictions on violence for children's movies, which I think is much more harrowing than sexuality for children.
- You can have a lot of unhappiness by not having money, but the reverse is no guarantee of happiness.
- Whatever you think of de Sade, he was a complex figure and we should not look for easy answers with him. He was, strangely perhaps, against the death penalty, and he was never put in prison for murders or anything like that.
- Similarly, the Marquis is presented in this film as someone who would disturb the status quo and therefore must be kept imprisoned.
- To me, thoughts are fun and art is fun. The strength of our society should not be idle entertainments but the joy of pursuing ideas.
- What's really interesting about that is that a lot of these words that were incendiary in their time now seem almost harmless and laughable, because they have this archaic quality.
- Whereas European films have traditionally been able to go into adult relationships. I think there's a huge audience in America for those kinds of films.
- See also Other Works |Â Publicity Listings |Â Official Sites
Philip Kaufman's body shape
Lets describe how Philip Kaufman looks. We will focus on Philip´s body shape. Body build is average.