Charles Chaplin's biography
Charles Spencer Chaplin is 88 years old film director born at London, England. He was born on Tuesday 16th of April 1889. He is often nicknamed as Charlie, Charlot, The Little Tramp, Carlitos, Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin, Charlie Chaplin, Charles Spencer Chaplin, Charles Chaplin. According to year of birth 1889 Charlie belongs to Lost Generation. Birthday on 16th of April means he is Aries. Aries is the most active sign of Zodiac, one born with this sign is a very quick learner, aggressive and passionate.He was married 4 times.
He is native english speaker. He is white british. Charlie is citizen of United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. Charlie is agnostic. Charlie´s primary profession is to be film director. You can know him also as composer, film actor, screenwriter, film producer, comedian, film editor, autobiographer, stage actor, film score composer, actor, mime artist. He is recently known as director.
Charles Chaplin's dad
Charles Chaplin's father's name is Charles Chaplin Sr..
Charles Chaplin's mom
Charles Chaplin's mother's name is Hannah Chaplin.
Charles Chaplin's family
Charles Chaplin's ex wifes
Charles Chaplin and Paulette Goddard have been together since 1936 for 6 years. She is known as actor. Charlie´s ex wife was born on Friday 3rd of June 1910 in Queens. Charlie´s ex wife died on Monday 23rd of April 1990 in Ronco sopra Ascona. Paulette Goddard was 101 years old, when this happened.
Charles Chaplin and Mildred Harris have been together since 1918 for 2 years. She is known as film actor. His ex wife was born on Friday 29th of November 1901 in Cheyenne. Charlie´s ex wife died on Thursday 20th of July 1944. Mildred Harris was 55 years old, when this happened.
Charles Chaplin and Lita Grey have been together since 1924 for 3 years. She is known as actor. Charlie´s ex wife was born on Wednesday 15th of April 1908 in Hollywood. Charlie´s ex wife died on Friday 29th of December 1995 in Los Angeles. Lita Grey was 106 years old, when this happened.
Charles Chaplin and Oona O'neill have been together since 1943 for 34 years. She is known as actor. His ex wife was born on Thursday 14th of May 1925 in Warwick Parish. Charlie´s ex wife died on Friday 27th of September 1991 in Corsier-sur-Vevey. Oona O'neill was 102 years old, when this happened.
Charlie has 5 sons and 4 daughters
Charles Chaplin's son: Sydney Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's son's name is Sydney Chaplin. He is known as stage actor. His son was born on Monday 16th of March 1885 in London. Charlie´s son died on Friday 16th of April 1965 in Nice. Sydney Chaplin was 76 years old, when this happened.
Charles Chaplin's son: Charles Chaplin Jr.
Charles Chaplin's son's name is Charles Chaplin Jr.. He is known as actor. Charlie´s son was born on Tuesday 5th of May 1925 in Beverly Hills. Charlie´s son died on Wednesday 20th of March 1968 in Hollywood. Charles Chaplin Jr. was 79 years old, when this happened.
Charles Chaplin's son: Michael Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's son's name is Michael Chaplin. He is known as autobiographer. Charlie´s son was born on Thursday 7th of March 1946 in Santa Monica.
Charles Chaplin's son: Eugene Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's son's name is Eugene Chaplin. He is known as actor. His son was born on Sunday 23rd of August 1953 in Canton of Vaud.
Charles Chaplin's son: Christopher Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's son's name is Christopher Chaplin. He is known as composer. Charlie´s son was born on Sunday 8th of July 1962 in Lausanne.
Charles Chaplin's daughter: Geraldine Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's daughter's name is Geraldine Chaplin. She is known as actor. Charlie´s daughter was born on Monday 31st of July 1944 in Santa Monica.
Charles Chaplin's daughter: Josephine Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's daughter's name is Josephine Chaplin. She is known as television actor. His daughter was born on Monday 28th of March 1949 in Santa Monica.
Charles Chaplin's daughter: Victoria Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's daughter's name is Victoria Chaplin. She is known as actor. His daughter was born on Saturday 19th of May 1951 in Santa Monica.
Charles Chaplin's daughter: Jane Chaplin
Charles Chaplin's daughter's name is Jane Chaplin. She is known as screenwriter. His daughter was born on Thursday 23rd of May 1957.
Charles Chaplin's schools
We found 2 schools Charlie attended. Complete list of schools: Cuckoo Schools, Black-Foxe Military Institute.
Charles Chaplin's career
Charlie´s main focus is to be film director. Charlie is famous thanks to The Little Tramp. Charlie is also a member of Academy of Arts, Berlin.
Is Charles Chaplin gay ?
Charlie is known to be straight.
Charles Chaplin's girlfriend
Mary Louise Gribble
Charles Chaplin and Mary Louise Gribble have been together.
How did Charles Chaplin die
Charlie died on on Sunday 25th of December 1977 when he was 88 years old. Charles Chaplins death was caused by natural causes. It happend like natural causes.
Awards and competitions
Charles Chaplin's Awards
- At the Golden Camera Awards 2005 in Berlin, Geraldine Chaplin told in a moving speech honoring Jerry Lewis about the last time she saw her father alive. He watched a movie of Lewis on television screaming "He's funny, that bastard!".
- Cinematic genius that he was, he never won an Academy Award in an acting category, his only non-honorary, competitive category Oscar victory being in the capacity of composer.
- He was awarded the Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire (KBE) in the 1975 Queen's New Year Honours List for his services to the film industry.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6751 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on April 10, 1972, which he accepted during the same trip to Los Angeles in which he accepted his 1972 Honorary Academy Award.
Charles Chaplin's Rankings
- He was ranked #79 in Empire (UK) magazine's "The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time" list. [October 1997]
- His performance as The Tramp in City Lights (1931) is ranked #44 on Premiere magazine's 100 Greatest Performances of All Time (2006).
- His performance as The Little Tramp in City Lights (1931) and a slew of other pictures is ranked #24 on Premiere magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
- Was ranked #66 on the 100 Greatest Britons list voted by the UK public in 2002.
Charles Chaplin's Nominations
- He was nominated for Academy Award for Best Actor for work The Great Dictator in 1940
- Charlie was nominated for Academy Award for Best Writing, Original Screenplay
- Charlie was nominated for Academy Award for Best Writing, Original Screenplay
- Charlie was nominated for Academy Award for Best Original Dramatic Score
What else you don't know about Charles Chaplin ?
His middle name is Spencer.
What Charles Chaplin has done for a first time
- First wife, Mildred Harris was the mother of his first child, a son named Norman Spencer (born July 7, 1919). The baby, who was nicknamed "The Little Mouse", was born with severe disabilities and lived only three days.
- On July 6, 1925, he became the first actor to appear on the cover of Time magazine.
- He was also the first actor to have a comic strip about him; Ed Carey's 1916 strip, "Pa's Imported Son-in-Law", detailed the adventures of Chaplin.
- When he and Stan Laurel first traveled to America they did so on a cattle boat, and upon arrival in the U.S. they shared a room in a boarding house.
Charles Chaplin's quotes
- All I need to make a comedy is a park, a policeman and a pretty girl.
- I like friends as I like music, when I am in the mood. To help a friend in need is easy, but to give him your time is not always opportune.
- The minute you bought your ticket you were in another world.
- I remain just one thing, and one thing only, and that is a clown. It places me on a far higher plane than any politician.
- The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.
- [on being informed that Adolf Hitler sat through two screenings of The Great Dictator (1940)] I'd give anything to know what he thought of it.
- I have no further use for America. I wouldn't go back there if Jesus Christ was President.
- [answering the bad reviews he got on his last movie, A Countess from Hong Kong (1967)] If they don't like it, they are bloody idiots. A diplomat falls in love with a prostitute - what better story can they get than that?
- The summation of my character [The Tramp] is that I care about my work. I care about everything I do. If I could do something else better, I would do it, but I can't.
- Words are cheap. The biggest thing you can say is "elephant".
- I had no idea of the character. But the moment I was dressed, the clothes and the make-up made me feel the person he was. I began to know him, and by the time I walked onto the stage he was fully born.
- I don't believe that the public knows what it wants; this is the conclusion that I have drawn from my career.
- [on his screen character, The Little Tramp] A tramp, a gentleman, a poet, a dreamer, a lonely fellow, always hopeful of romance and adventure.
- All my pictures are built around the idea of getting in trouble and so giving me the chance to be desperately serious in my attempt to appear as a normal little gentleman.
- Failure is unimportant. It takes courage to make a fool of yourself.
- I do not have much patience with a thing of beauty that must be explained to be understood. If it does need additional interpretation by someone other than the creator, then I question whether it has fulfilled its purpose.
- Movies are a fad. Audiences really want to see live actors on a stage.
- Actors search for rejection. If they don't get it they reject themselves.
- I went into the business for the money, and the art grew out of it. If people are disillusioned by that remark, I can't help it. It's the truth.
- My childhood was sad, but now I remember it with nostalgia, like a dream.
- It isn't the ups and downs that make life difficult; it's the jerks.
- I hope we shall abolish war and settle all differences at the conference table... I hope we shall abolish all hydrogen and atom bombs before they abolish us first.
- Through humor, we see in what seems rational, the irrational; in what seems important, the unimportant. It also heightens our sense of survival and preserves our sanity.
- Figuring out what the audience expects, and then doing something different, is great fun to me.
- [in 1915] Motion pictures is still in its infancy. In the next few years, I expect to see so many improvements that you could then scarcely recognize the comedy of the present day.
- I don't want perfection of detail in the acting. I'd hate a picture that was perfect, it would seem machine made. I want the human touch, so that you love the picture for its imperfections.
- I think a very great deal of myself. Everything is perfect or imperfect, according to myself. I am the perfect standard.
- [on Douglas Fairbanks] He had extraordinary magnetism and charm and a genuine boyish enthusiasm which he conveyed to the public.
- [on D.W. Griffith] The whole industry owes its existence to him.
- [Upon watching the young Jerry Lewis on television] That bastard is funny! He knows how to take the audience.
- My only enemy is time.
- I don't believe I deserve dinner unless I've done a day's work.
- Life is a beautiful magnificent thing, even to a jellyfish.
- [on receiving a lifetime Oscar, 1972] Words are so futile, feeble.
- All my pictures were built around the idea of getting me into trouble, and so giving me the chance to be desperately serious in my attempt to appear as a normal little gentleman.
- A good talking picture is inferior to a good stage play, while a good silent picture is superior to a good stage play.
- [advice to an over-emoting film actor] Don't sell it. Remember: they are peeking at you.
- [regarding the Looney Tunes] How can we compete? These guys don't have to stop to take a breath.
Charles Chaplin's height, body shape, eye color, hair color
Lets describe how Charles Chaplin looks. We will focus on his height, body shape, eye color, hair color and shoe size. He is tall as 5' 5" (165 cm). Body build is slim. His eyes are tinted blue. His hair is shade of black. If you are really curious, you may find interesting Charlie´s shoe size is 5.
Latest news about Charles Chaplin
For the latest news - you can follow Charles Chaplin on social networks.